How is gut health and anxiety related6th November, 2023
Did you know that your gut and your brain are friends? They chat with each other all the time! Surprisingly, your gut health can have a big impact on your feelings, especially anxiety.
Your Gut’s Special Helpers
Inside your gut, there are billions of tiny helpers called “microbes.” These little creatures live in your intestines and help with digesting food, fighting off bad germs, and doing other important jobs.
The Gut-Brain Connection
Your gut and your brain are connected by something called the “gut-brain axis.” This is like a superhighway of communication. The gut and the brain talk to each other through this highway, using messengers and signals.
Here’s how your gut can make you feel anxious:
- The microbes in your gut can create special chemicals, like serotonin and GABA. These chemicals are like messengers that tell your brain how to feel. If your gut is not in good shape, it might not send happy messages, and this can lead to anxiety.
- The gut also talks to your body’s defence team, the immune system. When your gut is unhappy because of a bad diet or stress, it can make the immune system go into overdrive. This can cause inflammation and might make you feel anxious.
- If you’re stressed for a long time, it can affect your gut and make it less healthy. This can start a cycle where the gut and the brain make each other feel anxious.
Keeping Your Gut Happy
So, what can you do to keep your gut and your brain happy and healthy? Here are some simple steps:
- Eat Well: A healthy diet with lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can make your gut microbes happy.
- Stress Less: Try to manage stress through activities like deep breathing, yoga, or going for a walk.
- Probiotics: Eating foods like yogurt or taking probiotic supplements can help boost the good microbes in your gut.
- Seek Help: If anxiety is making your life hard, talk to a doctor or therapist. They can provide support and treatment.
Your gut health and anxiety are closely connected. When your belly is happy, it can send good vibes to your brain, helping you feel less anxious. So, taking care of your gut through a healthy diet and stress management is not only good for your tummy but also for your peace of mind.
If you would like to talk further about this please book an appointment with any of our amazing therapists here at Beyond Self.share this entry